Well that is quite a mouthful for a cookie name. How are we all today?
How on Earth is it 4 days until Christmas? I have not felt festive at ALL until the last few days. Here in Sydney, it has been so hot some days, that my UK born and bred brain cannot fathom the fact that it is the Christmas season. It just does not feel right at all. There is barely any decorations anywhere, it is Summer and there are not mince pies everywhere you look.
This is my third Christmas on the other side of the planet, and I still think it is bizarre it is Christmas in Summer time.
That all said, I have been cranking up the Christmas music and baking some yummy things, so this little elf is finally feeling in the Christmas groove. I am tempted to crank up the air con, just so I can put on a wooly jumper and some warm socks and pretend I am snuggly and all wintery Christmas…
Luckily, the weather has actually been crazy, so that it is literally 36 one day and 19 degrees the next. Yesterday was a day where it was 22 degrees (totes chilly now to me…) and this allowed me to work up a bake and get the oven up hot.
These gingerbread cookies were born out of a desire for me to put chocolate covered almonds into a cookie. I have been obsessed with chocolate covered almonds after a craving was ignited from Kylie’s Blog. Then I decided to make the cookies with rapadura sugar which has that delicious molasses smell to it, which = gingerbread no? Then I went with spelt flour, because I have been totes digging it lately.
All that together = Gingerbread, Chocolate Almond, Spelt Cookies.
The cookies on their own are pretty delicious, but when you hit a melted chocolate almond, it is like oh HELLO.
Try them for yoself.
Gingerbread, Chocolate Almond, Spelt Cookies – Makes 14 Cookies
1 cup rapadura sugar (If using normal sugar, add a teaspoon of molasses for the molassy ginger flavour)
1/3 cup coconut sugar (can use brown sugar, this was just what I had in ze cupboard!)
1 cup wholewheat spelt flour
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
Pinch sea salt
42 chocolate almonds (random number I know…)
- Pre heat the oven to 160 degrees celcius.
- Melt butter in the microwave or on the stove in a small pan.
- Add the sugar and stir until mostly dissolved.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg.
- Add in the sugar butter mixture to the egg and stir until combined.
- Sieve the flours, ginger, salt and baking powder together into a medium bowl.
- Add the flour slowly into the egg/butter/sugar mixture and stir until all added and evenly combined.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 4-5 minutes to firm.
- Drop a tablespoon of the mixture onto a baking tray covered in baking paper.
- Repeat 13 times. Use 2/3 baking trays if needed.
- Add 3 chocolate covered almonds to each cookie.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on how soft/chewy you want the cookies.
- Allow the cookies to cool for at least 20 minutes to let them harden up.
What is your favourite Christmas dessert if you celebrate? If you don’t, what is your favourite dessert in general?